Archive - Transmission network Wiki
This is an archive of the working wiki of the Transmission network, that was used for documenting and collaborating on ongoing projects. There were a number of other transmission wikis which may also be accessible.
The transmission network home page was a Drupal-based CMS that aggregated various video collectives' news feeds and provides the public face for the network, briefly describing its activities and common basis.
Some other Transmission network spaces may (or may not) be available here:
- irc.freenode.net, channel #transmission.cc (Internet Relay Chat)
- Transmission Network Mailing Lists
What follows is original content from the wiki...
The main point of this network is to share work and information and help each other to distribute video online using free and open source tools. We need your help! The best way to help is to get involved in one of the working groups, or propose a new one on the discussion list. Each working group has a coordinator, you can find their contact details on the wiki pages below.
Summary: Group which is looking at area of Video sharing in Drupal. The aim is to create and document and maintain good working practices with Video in Drupal and to support each other.
Summary : The Transmission network's online video metadata standard aims to facilitate video distribution and aggregation tools to exchange and search Video with more flexibility, detail and efficiency, and hence popularity and usability, than existing RSS feeds.
The subtitling working group is looking at the best way to translate and subtitle films collaboratively on and offline, and present the subtitles online for download in a way that makes them easily findable and usable.
The documentation project aims to create documentation, guides and tutorials to allow easy downloading, encoding and distribution of digital video files using free and open source softwares.
Using the Web to help people share information and collaborate, NDS enables the global promotion, sales and fulfilment of goods, improving cultural producers' sustainability and visibility at national and international level.
A review of the best available tools for the creation, playback and embedding of online video using Free and Open Source Software video codecs, and a set of recommendations for development to enhance their adoption by social change video projects on the web.
Participatory Culture Foundation are working with the Transmission network to create a Miro player which comes with the channels of member video distributors already installed, and will link to a Transmission-created channel guide.
- Transmission - Rome - June 2006
- ReTransmission meeting Europe in London - October 2006
- Vxmission ReTransmission II meeting Europe in Amsterdam - January 2008
- Txap - Asia-Pacific Transmission meeting - West Java - May 2008
- DrupalVideoMission - A western Europe documentation and skillshare sprint
- records of Transmission meetings
- Aggregator working group - for now, see ifiwatch.tv.
- Ifiwatch.tv_workspace - Drupal media feed aggregator and generator, almost complete.
- NoScrewTube Campaign
- Do no harm working group - Sam Gregory at Witness.org is now taking a lead on this.. may combine with Eleonora's proposed Virtual Entity working group?
- Transcoder Uploader
- Process - How the tx-network is organised
- Transmission-related funding bids by participating groups
- Video Content Management System Survey - VCS - dormant
- Code bounties: support the projects you want to see happen
- VideoSharingSites - sites within the TX network that are open for video hosting - got here to upload your video!
- Virtual Entity - digital productions are like nature, they do not belong to anyone. A new licence for immaterial works...
- Local archives project - an EngageMedia project to setting up local video archives with partners in Indonesia
- Transmission.cc site redesign - ideas on updating/upgrading/re-engineering the transmission.cc website
- Knight News Challenge - we've made it to Full Proposal stage of the Knight News Challenge. Help draft our proposal!
- CampSambel - a Transmission style camp featuring participants from Indonesia, East Timor, Malaysia and Australia.
- ClimateWorkshop - an online video distribution and climate workshop in Jakarta at 24 July 2010 (Indonesian version)
- MakassarTour - a short online distribution workshop in Makassar, eastern part of Indonesia, August 2010
- AsiaPacificFilmFestivals - a list of progressive film festivals in the Asia Pacific
Please do join one or more of these groups; your energy, expertise, excitement are all welcome. If you have an idea that you think is necessary for the Transmission network to address, but you're not sure where to put it, you could always use the Random Ideas page. While you're there, you might also want to do some wiki gardening! Welcome to wiki world.