Project 02 Combine May 6-11
WORKSHOP SCHEDULE - Setting up and Training in Local Video Archive IVAA and Combine. May 6 - 15.
Week 1# May 6 - 10 COMBINE
prep May 5th
- 14:00 Nancy and And.L move from Jakarta to Jogja
- discuss week scedule.
- run through run sheets.
- 17:00 preparation meeting Nancy, And and Vic - check about the computers or even pick them up.
- hopefully purchasing Server or already have.
- 19:00 meeting at cafe via via with IVAA- Pitra and Combine Ishnu and EngageMedia - Nancy, Andrew and Vic
Kampung Halaman Technical Details - we will put our updates from IVAA and COMBINE but for now they will be quite helpful.
Wednesday, May 6, 2009 – Purchasing Server and basic install/set-up
- 10:00 - Combine/IVAA arrive Combine
- Check (MoU and ToRs) and discuss any issues with COMBINE.
setting up computer – install Ubuntu.
- 13:00 IVAA/Combine/KH people - Begin plumi set up.
- Combine doing - IVAA/KH watching. Vik taking people through.
Nancy Re-writing MoU from meeting notes - co-ordinating project and following up internet connection issues and attempting to blog.
- Indytube - introduction and install.
- 17:30 - Install group evaluation
- 17:45 - Everyone evaluation/feedback, plan for tomorrow.
- 18:00 - End
- nancy rewriting scedule, administration
Thursday, May 7, 2009 – Continuing set up/templates customizations and skinning
- 10:00 - Installation morning.
Install of secondary server. Personal computers from Local Archive Project that want plumi...
- 13:00 - Lunch
- 13:30 - design/ skinning template customisation
- 16:00 - Meeting with Combine Internet connection/bandwidth - Nienke, Ishnu, Nancy, Vic, And - Nova Translation.
- signing of MoU including translation.
- 17:45 - Evaluation/feedback, plan for tomorrow.
- 18:00 - End
Friday May 8, 2009 publishing content, metadata, compression.
- 10:00 - networking set up/documentation
- technical trouble shooting. first part of day 3.
- 13:00 - lunch
- 13:30 - Intro to the archive:
- Intro: Encoding, converting video into appropriate formats.
- compressing videos for the archive and EM.org, understanding codecs/containers etc.
- Get started with Handbrake practical 'how to' for compressing.
- compression - handbrake basic 'how to' in Bahasa = print.
- 14:00 -
- audio/video codec excersise - Nova demonstrate the 'hands on' workshop with compression in Indonesian.
- When compression is done, people then start to arrange their files and compress content for archive materials upload on day 4.
- Publishing content to the Archive. - understanding the process.
- administration - delete content, work flow, how to feature a news item etc.
[ point to the engagemedia.org site documentation of that]
- Take feedback on things that don't work/could be improved etc.
16:00 - Discuss metadata/licensing etc. video compression preparing materials for the archive (inc. metadata) based on discussions/assessment of use cases - http://www.messageinabox.tacticaltech.org/publishingchecklist
17:45 - Evaluation/feedback, plan for Monday 18:00 - End
Saturday, May 9
- Nancy writing up blog for engagemedia.org and re-adjusting schedule
for last day at Combine, and Week 2 IVAA.
- Following up technical permissions issue as to why Kampung Halaman cannot edit their videos on the engagemedia.org i.e. add metadata etc.
Day 5 SUNDAY May 10
- chill out:) and/or nancy go to jakarta to be at embassy at 09:00 to get an emergency passport.
Monday, May 11, 2009
- 10:00 - Tech people - Vik + Nova
- Install session of Plumi – development server and who ever wants to install it.
- Recap skinning on dev. instance - logo, heading, background colours/image - use of firebug
- 13:00 - Lunch
- 13:30 Continue with hands on: tech dev/content upload/compression - And + Nova
- Upload some _actual_ content to the arhive, or even a small one to EngageMedia.org
- Play with embedding videos and adding rss into a local wordpress site
- Other site features – tagging, workspaces, author page etc.
- Site administration
- Hybrid distro - dealing with video in low/no bandwidth situations
- 15.30 - 15.50 - break
- 15.50 - 17.30
- DOCUMENTATION FOR VISTORS: Look at KH documentation - Vik, And, Nova
- How to - access the archive by using the organisations computers connected to the LAN.
- How to connect their own computer to the LAN via cable or wireless.
- How to browse the archive, view a flash video preview of the video and rapidly copy any file to USB device, phone and computer, or burn them to DVD/CD.
- Publishing to the archive
- Moderating content/users etc.
Other: Discussing Open Content Licensing and Creative Commons
- 17.30 - Evaluation and wrap up, steps from here?
- End - beer and makan!
Get people to give examples – of one concrete instance of how they would go about Licensing their video. Discuss how the Creative Commons, is to help `you' (the `Producer') to keep control of `your' work discuss the differences and implications of and betweeen, CC licenses, i.e. "non-commercial" prohibit use for any purpose, "no-derivatives" licenses prohibit modification, and the CC Sampling License Attribution, NonCommercial etc. Important to discuss how Non-free copyrighted material cannot be freely incorporated into one's work no matter what license one choses. Experimental, radical art and activism that does not play nice with third-party copyrights and trademarks can't be legally released and Used under whatever license anyway. Its work should rather - and explicitly - be released into the public domain.